No-shows, tyre kickers, dreamers, all part of the process
23 May 2021 · Eldon - Barnfield Cars
The public expect to pay a lower price for a private sale. As a car dealer with full dealer facilities we can get more for your car and in many instances can give you close to what you are expecting to get privately, all without the hassle.
2) You will have to keep the car immaculate for the duration of your advert, in anticipation of that elusive viewing. Just clean it once, we will come to view it, once we’ve agreed to buy it there’s no need to clean it again.
3) It costs money to advertise your car. Do you advertise on Autotrader? Do you advertise on eBay motors? Do you advertise on Motors? Or do you also advertise in the local press? To stand a chance you need to consider both online and paper marketing which can run into hundreds of pounds, especially if you have to repeat ads. Advertising costs eat away at your finances.
4) Private buyers always expect to haggle on price. Regardless of how competitively priced you think your car is someone will always want a deal, hence reducing your expectation even further.
5) Do you really want a group of strangers around your family home? We are known and trusted, see our reviews from private sellers to partners in international law firms.
6) Do you want to wait for someone to turn up? It’s a fact that people will be early or late and in many cases simply won’t turn up.
7) Does the buyer want a test drive? Unless the buyer has motor trade insurance they aren’t comprehensively insured, you are not only potentially breaking the law but taking a huge risk in the event of an incident regardless of blame. It’s not uncommon for cars to be hijacked on a test drive.
8) How do you get paid? Under UK money laundering regulations cash over £5000 has to be justified when paid into a UK bank, where did the buyer get the money from? how do you know the money isn’t fake? Also, consider that you have to wait for a cheque to clear, and with lots of counterfeit bank drafts in circulation you are taking a huge risk unless you physically get cleared funds in your account. it’s catch 22 because you won’t release the car until it’s paid for and the buyer won’t pay for the car until they have it.
If you are looking to sell your car then would very much like to hear from you, as we are the UK’s leading independent car buyer and never knowingly outbid. Most importantly when dealing with Barnfield you will be communicating with a partner in the business, not an employee who is has a salary that is weighted toward offering less for your car!
Before contacting us why not see what our customers have to say about us, read our 5-star reviews.